Living Infomation

Comprehensive Living Guide for Foreign Residents in Japan

Top page >Legal procedures for your stay in Japan

My Number

The My Number system is a newly implemented number system for social insurance and taxes.
It is a 12-digit number given to all people with a certificate of residence, and is used in government procedures in the areas of social insurance, taxes, and disaster prevention. As dictated by law, places of employment, banks, etc. may request My Number for administrative procedures relating to social insurance and taxes.
Foreigners who are registered residents are also enrolled.

Notification of My Number

From October, 2015, My Number notification cards have been sent to addresses with certificates of residence.
Notification cards are important cards notifying the recipient of My Number. Please store it carefully so as to avoid losing it.

Issuance of personal identification number card

From January 2016, those who request a personal identification number card shall be issued with one.
The personal identification number card is an IC card that, in addition to displaying a photograph of the bearer, also carries their My Number information. The card can serve as a form of official identification. It may also be used by the cardholder when applying for the issuing of electronic certificates, etc.
Individuals are encouraged to apply for their personal identification number card by using the issuance application that was mailed together with the notification. Personal identification number cards can be collected directly from local municipalities once the identity of the individual has been established.

Points of notice for My Number

My Number will not be changed except in the event that it has been compromised, or it is suspected that it has been used illicitly.
Aside from providing it to administrative agencies and other organizations for processing, do not unnecessarily display My Number.

Inquiries about My Number: Call Center (Toll free)

- For support in Japanese: 0120-95-0178 (free) Weekdays: 9:30 to 20:00, Weekends and holidays: 9:30 to 17:30 (Closed during yearend/new year holidays)

- For foreign language support: (English, Chinese, Korean, Spanish, Portugese)

Page top
Top page >Legal procedures for your stay in Japan
©2006 Tokyo International Communication Commitee