Electric power plant shutdowns have occurred due to Tohoku Pacific Ocean Earthquake. This will result in significant reduction of electric power supply and implementation of power outages in Tokyo.
Please be cautious of the following:
1 There may be no phone access available during power outage. Use public phones or cellular phones to access 119 for emergency.
2 Urgent message system and fire safety system will not be available during power outage. Use cellular phones to access 119.
3 Unplug all electronic devices such as electric stove and heater during power outage. Remove all items near electric devices as plugged electric devices could cause fire upon electric power recovery. Shut down breakers if you plan to leave for a long time.
4 Keep in mind the following when you use candles:
(1) Stay near lighted candles
(2) Stabilize candles and remove all flammable items nearby
(3) Place no candles where children can reach
(4) Do not use a large number of candles in closed rooms
5 Put your room in order as you may trip over items in darkness during power outage and check flashlight batteries before power outage.
6 Be sure to prepare batteries before power outage for those who undergo medical treatment at home.
7 Be cautious of automated doors as they may not open.
Foreigners in affected areas: Please contact the embassy of your country immediately.
Due to the recent earthquake, the embassies of the respective countries in Tokyo have announced that they have established emergency contact information for foreigners in affected areas and in need.
* American embassy has set up the following email address to accept inquiries on safety of American citizens.
Email address: email@example.com
* Korean embassy
03-3454-4616 03-3454-5025 090-1693-5773
* Chinese embassy
03-3403-3388 Ext.8881 8882 8712
* Taipei economic and cultural representative on behalf of Taiwan to accept safety information.